May the Wells of Europe be Reopened!
Then Israel sang this song: "Spring up, O well!" (Numbers 21:17)
A Major Worship and Prayer Initiative, 21-23 June 2019!
God has blessed us in Europe with so many renewals and revivals. Some are still alive today, but many are no longer visible. Yet they are still there underground, like a well that has been blocked and covered over.
In the Europe’s Wells initiative, over 100 groups worshipped and prayed simultaneously at spiritual wells of the past, asking God for the living water to rise up again!
Isaac reopened the wells that had been dug in the time of his father Abraham, … and he gave them the same names his father had given them. .… He moved on from there and dug another well, and no-one quarrelled over it. He named it Rehoboth, saying, “Now the Lord has given us room and we will flourish in the land.”
On the weekend 21-23 June 2019, we:
- Friday 21 – celebrated and thanked God for his goodness to Europe over 2000 years. See the summary of Europe’s Christian history and be encouraged by all that he has done. At the same time, we mourned that Europe has turned away so much from God and also for the times when we have treated the Jewish people badly.
- Saturday 22 – asked God to reopen the spiritual wells that we were worshiping at, as Isaac did in Genesis 26:18, and also asked him to reopen all the wells all over Europe.
- Sunday 23 – asked God to open many new spiritual wells, as in Genesis 26:22, and to send a massive revival to the whole of Europe!
We gathered at places where there was a revival, an awakening, a reformation, a monastery, a mission base, a powerful preacher, evangelist or other ministry, … anything that significantly built the kingdom of God. We met each day to worship and pray following the daily themes. It was a wonderful partnership of worshipers and intercessors across Europe!
Please read more about where the groups were and what God did.
Thank you Lord that you have compassion on the people of Europe who are running after false gods and philosophies. You will call millions of them back to you!
- 110 groups took part – amazing!
- Some groups were large, e.g. 20 or 30 people, and some were small, just two people. On one day, Johanna in Switzerland had to pray on her own and was sad. Then God showed her that there was a big angel with her so she was not alone!
- People really liked the idea of celebrating the whole of our Christian history in Europe. It gave them freedom to research the history of their area to find times of growth and renewal. We discovered that God had done a lot many centuries ago and all the way back to 2000 years ago. In every generation there were men and women of God who faithfully served him. Every century had times of renewal somewhere.
- Our unity was powerful and it was exciting to be doing it together! Even two people praying together in their home could feel that they were part of something big. This unity gave us authority to represent all the Christian history of our continent. We could ask God to reopen all the spiritual wells of the past, including the wells that did not have a group or had been forgotten about.
- We liked the fact that we were honouring the previous generations and celebrating what they did. They are now in heaven cheering us on and it was good to realise that we are connected with them through God’s Holy Spirit.